Sunday, May 19, 2013

“Most of what I say is complete truth. My edit button is broken.”

Hourglass – Myra McEntire (Hourglass, Book 1)
390 pages
Genre: YA, Paranormal

Summary: Emerson is your average 17-year-old girl, with one huge exception: she can see ghosts. If that isn’t strange enough, things take an even more bizarre turn when she starts seeing whole scenes from the past. At approximately the same time, she meets a guy named Michael, who was hired by Emerson’s brother to try and help her get rid of these visions. Will these efforts work?

Review: Like many of my YA reads, the cover was what initially drew me to Hourglass. I absolutely love the color combination, and her hair blowing around crazily in front of her face intrigued me further. While I had no expectations going into this, I’m glad I decided to read it, as it was pretty fun.

The biggest aspect of this book centered around paranormal abilities. I’m really drawn to books that have paranormal plot devices, and Hourglass certainly delivered. Emerson had the ability to see ghosts and impressions from the past, and it was fun to see everything through her eyes as she was seeing things. When her visions became more intense, she began to worry a bit, which seemed like a believable reaction if one was faced with these circumstances.

Similarly, time travel was also a crucial element to Hourglass’ plot. This component caused philosophical questions to be raised for both the reader and the characters as they struggled to figure out what they should do. Do they go to the past and alter a tragic event, in hopes that it doesn’t affect anything else, or do they leave it alone and accept what has happened?

As far as the characters go, I felt pretty meh about our narrator, Emerson. While I thought her abilities were really cool, I also thought that many of her decisions were absolutely terrible. This is especially poignant as it relates to her feelings regarding certain characters within the story. It seemed like as soon as one love interest turned his back, she was all over another possible love interest. I understand that it’s possible to be attracted to more than one person at a time, but really? Your feelings are that fleeting?

Ah, the romance. There was a love triangle very similar to the one that can be found in Twilight, and while I know love triangles exist in real life, I wasn’t really buying this one. This could be because crazy things would happen at just the slightest touch with one of Emerson’s love interests, so it didn’t really make any sense to me that she would be going after another guy when said things were happening. Also, what was with best friends going after the same girl? I’m sure that happens, too, but one would hope that when Emerson has clearly showed interest in one of the friends, the other would back off so they don’t ruin their friendship. Why was the best friend always trying to get the girl his friend liked whenever his friend left the room? It just doesn’t make sense to me.

Much like romantic relationships were a crucial component of this book, familial relationships were just as important. Emerson was living with her older brother, Thomas, after their parents’ death. I really liked how Thomas was constantly trying to help Emerson overcome the problems she faced. He even went so far as to hire someone that she could talk to to try to work out what was wrong, and I thought that was awesome. It was easy to see how much they cared for one another

While Hourglass was a bit uneven for me, overall, it was an enjoyable read. If you like paranormal stories, give it a try!

Rating: 3/5

Other books in the Hourglass Series: Timepiece, Infinity Glass

Read-alikes: The Summoning – Kelly Armstrong, The Splendor Falls – Rosemary Clement-Moore, The Blue Girl – Charles de Lint

10 comments:

  1. Why is it that I ALWAYS love your quotes? Haha.

    Not liking the sound of the love triangle, but with the awesome quote and the fact that you still gave it a three, I think I'll keep this on my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, I think it's because we think the same :) Despite the love triangle, I think you would enjoy reading this.

      Delete